Friday, September 18, 2009

I need books.

I no longer have a TV in my bedroom, which means I've been reading a lot more than I have in a long time. That's a good thing. But all my favorite already-read books are in storage so I've been scrounging around the IL's house for things to read. That's a bad thing.

MIL (the reader in the family) seems to prefer suspense (sure), crime novels (still with you), and romance novels (meh). She has a ton of super cheapy Walmart books in those genres, half of which I don't think she's ever cracked open; I bet they were impulse buys, or maybe the blurb convinced her but the first chapter or two turned her off. Because they're terrible. Oh my goodness, they are laugh out loud AWFUL.

And yet I keep reading them, because I don't have anything else.

Here's a sample from Bayou Justice, a murder mystery:

She stared at him with agony glimmering in her orbs. Then she shook her head, grabbed her cane and rushed, as fast as her disability would allow, down the aisle and out of the church.


Orbs. LOL.

There's an even better quote from one of the romances -- it brought me to tears, I was laughing so hard! -- but it's not family friendly. Please email me if you're 18yo or older and want to know. Holy cow, it's hilarious.

Anyway. I've got How I Became a Famous Novelist in my Amazon cart, but I'd like to add in a few more to keep me busy after I finish that one. Any recommendations?

I enjoy pretty much any genre except romance and sci-fi (and honestly, I might acquiesce to sci-fi / fantasy if the story were good enough). I like beach reads as much as literary fiction, as long as the beach read in question doesn't feel like it was written by a 7th grader in love with florid phrases like "glimmering orbs." I like non-fiction on interesting subjects (one of my all-time favorite books is The Design of Everyday Things because it's just fascinating). Anything else you need to know about my taste?

Please leave me a comment: What have you enjoyed reading lately? What are your all-time favorites? What do you think I should read when I'm done with Bayou Justice? ;-)


~RCH~

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've recently enjoyed "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl who Played with Fire" (by Stieg Larsson)-- I'm also just finishing "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which is quite good. Have you read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"?

Alison M.

Nicole said...

For dark/funny, I like Kate Atkinson's "Behind the Scenes at the Museum." One of my all-time favorites is "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. It's not a romance. The only reason I picked it up in the first place is because we have the same name. Except the last name.

RCH said...

Thank you for the recs, Alison & Nicole! I have read The History of Love (which probably deserves a rereading, except that it's in storage :-P), but the others are all new to me. I'll go look 'em up!

RCH said...

:: whispering very quietly in case I'm the only one with her head in the gutter ::

Did anybody else think at first that the glimmering orbs referred to her boobs? You know, like an agonized heaving of the bosoms or something? But no. Just eyeballs. Whatever!

*Cough! Ahem!*

:: returning voice to its normal level ::

Lovely weather we're having, eh? Nice crisp fall air.... Yeah....

Beckle the Freckle said...

LOL! When I first glanced at it I did initially think "orbs" meant something else...but I couldn't figure out how they would show agony.

Also? You totally need to send me that naughty bit from the romance novel. Remember when we used to read my sister's harlequins and laugh ourselves sick? Oh yeah, I miss those days.

Trying to think of recommendations but I haven't read anything mind-blowing lately. I shall have a think and get back to you.

Michael said...

I finally made it to the post office and mailed you two books yesterday (spurred by this post): "Ere His Floods of Anger Flow" (by John Harmer) and "Left to Tell" (by Immaculee Ilibagiza).

irish said...

"the thirteen tale" is a really puzzling book. we read it for one of our RS book club books. coila says it is one of her favorite books. i still say it's a strange book. i love sue grafton and tony hillerman books. i love books. looking forward to seeing some more of your photos.

  Based on the Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com © 2008

Back to TOP